[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Emacspeak] Emacsvox with omnivox early use and thanks



Hi Joe,

The punctuation changes prompted by your report are now ready for you to test. Omnivox 1.15.0 is released, and Emacsvox has a new punctuation editor.

Omnivox now recognises curly apostrophes such as “’” alongside straight apostrophes. At the “all” punctuation level, both are named. Org normally uses “some”, which preserves apostrophes for natural reading, but you can now configure either character to be spoken at that level too.

With Omnivox 1.15.0 and the updated Emacsvox checkout, run:

M-x omnivox-punctuation

You can also find it under Aural Home → Voices and speech → Punctuation.

In the editor:

• Press l to choose a punctuation level.
• Select a character and press RET to edit how it is spoken.
• Press s to save, then r to restart speech and apply the changes.
• Press ? for help.

For your Org case, choose “some” and give the curly apostrophe a spoken name such as “apostrophe” or “single quote”.

Thanks again for raising this. I’d be interested to hear whether it behaves as you expect on your setup.

Kind regards,

Bart

Bart Bunting <bart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad Emacsvox and Omnivox have helped you keep using Emacs, and thanks for reporting the apostrophe issue. Describing what you hear is useful—you don’t need to submit a PR.
>
> Your report prompted some work on punctuation handling. Org normally uses the “some” punctuation level, which leaves apostrophes within words unannounced. Curly apostrophes such as “’” also needed better handling in Omnivox.
>
> I’ve now implemented configurable punctuation pronunciations in Omnivox, along with an Emacsvox interface to review and edit them. This lets you choose which characters are named at each punctuation level and what they are called, including straight and curly apostrophes.
>
> The changes have passed automated checks and still need listening checks. I expect to release them in a day or two. I haven’t reproduced your exact setup, so I’d welcome your feedback once they’re available.
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to write and feel free to report any
> other issues you find.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Bart
>
> "Joe LUKE" (via emacspeak Mailing List) <emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> writes:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was using emacspeak for maybe 2 years and suddenly it stopped working for password prompts. I am on
>> archlinux so I got 31.1 quickly and it hurt!
>>
>> I am not a developer but Codex is my friend and it found emacsvox/omnivox for me and this setup seems
>> very good. A few subtle differences to adapt to but that’s it really,
>>
>> Thank you so much Bart for creating and maintaining the fork and thank you to any others who make this
>> possible. Emacs/emacspeak is my daily driver so I was panicking quite a bit until Codex found Bart’s fork.
>>
>> The only oddity I have noticed is that emacsvox with omnivox and espeak-ng does not seem to read out
>> apostrophes in org mode .
>> That’s apostrophe a.k.a single quote i.e. this character “’”’"
>>
>> If that’s a bug I could ask codex to submit a PR but I’m out of my depth really other than to point it out.
>>
>> Warmest regards,
>> Joe
>> Emacspeak discussion list -- emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> To unsubscribe send email to:
>> emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of: unsubscribe


|Full archive May 1995 - present by Year|Search the archive|


If you have questions about this archive or had problems using it, please contact us.

Contact Info Page