Re: [Emacspeak] Question about best way to install and configure emacs and emacspeak in m1 MACs

Argiris--

Author of Swiftmac here, so take this for what it is worth.

First of all, I think the mac python server is still the default, swiftmac only got included
in the last emacspeak release (green apple status).

Swiftmac, specifically 2.7.5 which I am going to be getting merged into emacspeak next few
days is absolutely rock solid, and is the fastest and most complete implementation of the
emacspeak protocol on mac.

If you want to build everything from source, Make sure you use a version of Emacs that is
able to use (setopt mac-ignore-accessibility 't) -- saves a lot of hassle in using it with
emacspeak.

I highly recommend you consider:
- https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus

It builds new emacs source, with some fixes and improvements for mac on your box.

As for Emacspeak, it is delightfully straightforward to build.
- https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak

Using master directly is far more reliable than you would expect, I update often and have
very few issues. Just grab, make clean && make config && make and emacspeak will be ready
to go.

At that point, you can build the swiftmac that comes with emacspeak, which is contributed
on a regular basis (I am moving 2.7.5 over this week) or if you want the newest features
and most up to date stuff, you can use the swiftmac repo directly:
- https://github.com/robertmeta/swiftmac

It now requires swift 5.9, just do make install and away you go.

At this point, you got built emacs, built emacspeak and built swiftmac.  Now you just do
some configuration in your init.el and you should have a solid, reliable daily driver.

Good luck!