Re: [Emacspeak] Question about best way to install and configure emacs and emacspeak in m1 MACs

Raman--

Thanks for the feedback, I released it a little earlier than I intended to but it
seemed like a perfect situation to do so.

Comments inline.

> On Jun 18, 2024, at 22:39, T.V Raman <raman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> 1. Avoid duplicating  content from  https://tvraman.github.io/emacspeak/manual/#toc-Installation-Instructions

I will try, let me think about how to approach this. I really want to have this be
a one stop quickstart guide, just from zero to hearing voice.

> 2. Nit: dont set load-path -- see the manual cited above; load
>   emacspeak-setup and that sets up load-path.

Yep, been doing this wrong forever, about time to fix it.

> 3. Consistency helps; your guide says to update load-path and then
>   require emacspeak-setup; the inconsistency will just cause confusion
>   to someone coming at it for the first time.

Absolutely.

> 4. Suggestion --- keep what you write to a minimum and fill in the
>   missing bits --- the more duplicate content we put  out there, the
>   faster it becomes inconsistent, obsolete or both.

Yep, it sure will. That said, there is a very specific type of experience
I am trying to help with here. My first few days trying to get Emacspeak
working were brutal, and I nearly gave up. This isn't because their wasn't
fantastic documentation, it is copious and great, but it is diffuse and
until you get into a working emacspeak it feels extremely daunting.

Once you use Emacspeak for a bit the documentation makes absolute sense,
but until you can get in and have a functional Emacs, it all feels,
impenetrable.

That is why I want this quickstart guide to be very specific as to OS
and server, because they all have little unique bits and sometimes
those details are the part that makes them so challenging.

Hopefully that will make them rot a little more slowly as the Debian 12
and Espeak instructions hopefully won't change radically. But due to be
a step by step walkthrough I think they will be wordy almost by nature
and I assume very little about the user at this point. Writing code or
writing poems, or just needing a good interface to AI bots or only using
it for org-mode, I leave this to the user. I just want to give them a
fighting chance by getting them into Emacs with Emacspeak.

That wall of text aside, I am far from confident I have the best approach
yet, so will continue to listen and try to find ways to improve it.

If you read this far and want to help me by documenting exactly how your
platform / server choice is setup, please contribute, any OS/server combos
are welcome. I added some I know I want but all are welcome!

Thanks!

--
Robert "robertmeta" Melton
lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx