emacspeak - Re: [Emacspeak] Emacs: Hidden Holiday Gems

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

Re: [Emacspeak] Emacs: Hidden Holiday Gems

  • From: "T.V Raman" <raman AT google.com>
  • To: theophilusx AT gmail.com
  • Cc: emacspeak AT emacspeak.net
  • Subject: Re: [Emacspeak] Emacs: Hidden Holiday Gems
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 16:24:15 -0800

This is why we have choices in Emacs;-)

Your summary is accurate, but TL;DR:

If you have some vision and can see the screen, then corfu, vertico
and perhaps even helm are for you.

If you cannot see at all, then company, ido, flx, and some of the
newer completion choices in emacs 30 are what you want.

I would not beat myhead against the wall to make corfu work for
someone who is totally blind; it's (corfu) purpose is to put up a
popup window of choices in context which is not much if you cant see
the screen. Likewise, if you can see the screen to be able to benefit
from that popup, then it's for you and Emacspeak should not get in the
way.

Also, note that Emacspeak's goal is not support *every* package, as an
example I implemented company support which meant I never implemented
support for the autocomplete package.