emacspeak - Re: [Emacspeak] Github Issue Threads and Mailing List

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

Re: [Emacspeak] Github Issue Threads and Mailing List

  • From: Robert Melton <lists AT robertmelton.com>
  • To: "T.V Raman" <raman AT google.com>
  • Cc: Emacspeaks <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
  • Subject: Re: [Emacspeak] Github Issue Threads and Mailing List
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 12:05:00 -0500

Raman--

> On Mar 6, 2024, at 11:25, T.V Raman (via emacspeak Mailing List)
> <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net> wrote:
>
> 2. My initial thought a week ago was that they should; now I'm
> questioning that

I don't think my PR should be used. The unidirectional part of it really
lowers the value. There is a way to work around this I will talk about
later.

> 3. The initial issue likely is not useful to have on the list.
> 4. Follow-up discussion if they get long ought to get archived.

I think in a bidirectional manner it could have value, that way people
on the list could respond back to an issue, even maybe solve it then
the user could close it.

> 6. Tim/Greg -- it would involve one of you doing some work.

Tim/Greg would not be required, you could technically setup a new
address someaddress AT example.com and register it with the list then
setup the smtp settings to use that account, would land on the list.

> 7. If we start follow-up discussion on a Github Issue, we just add
> emacspeak AT emacspeak.net to the CC field.

Fair alternative, another one is simply turning off issues and making
it clear they should come to the list.

> But I wonder if its worth the effort for now; easier solution:
> 8.

So, another way is to make github allowed to send directly
to the list. You register the list address as one of your personal
email addresses on github, setup just issues on the project to
send by email and have them send to the list. That would let
the list reply in a bi-directional manner and have a back and
forth with the ticket.

----

Crazy thought: maybe sourcehut (sr.ht) is worth some consideration.
Mailing list / mail git workflow, generally very accessible web interfaces
but the founding idea is do everything with email.

--
Robert "robertmeta" Melton
lists AT robertmelton.com