emacspeak - Re: [Emacspeak] Pkgsrc package of Emacspeak

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

Re: [Emacspeak] Pkgsrc package of Emacspeak

  • From: Александар Средојевић <ferrumite666 AT gmail.com>
  • To: adr <adr AT sdf.org>
  • Cc: emacspeak AT emacspeak.net
  • Subject: Re: [Emacspeak] Pkgsrc package of Emacspeak
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:53:49 +0100

Hi Adr,
On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:13:15 +0000 (UTC), adr <adr AT sdf.org> wrote:
> I'm curious about EMACSPEAK_PLAY. Would not be better to use just
> emacspeak-play-program and remove the use of that variable? Or use
> just the variable? I don't understand the separation of the two of
> them.
I guess it's a leftover back from the days when sox didn't exist (emacspeak
dates from the early 90s) and I guess this sort of flexability never hearts.
> Sox is a dependency, and it's available in any unix-like system.
> Why not use "play" as the default audio player?
This is actually a good point, something I haven't gotten bitten by yet
because
I've set emacspeak-auditory-icon-function to emacspeak-play-auditory-icon,
which
uses play as expected.

Another thing that I keep forgetting to report and that might be an issue for
your case: the path to play is hard coded in tts-lib.tcl (for the various
beeps)
as /usr/bin/play, which could instead be, say, /usr/local/bin/play. If the
path
is wrong it will work just won't play the beeps, which is why I guess it
didn't
get reported yet.

Thank you for helping the project out like this.

--
Kind Regards,

Aleksandar