emacspeak - Re: [Emacspeak] [tvraman/emacspeak] Adds Windows and SharpWin support (PR #119)

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

Re: [Emacspeak] [tvraman/emacspeak] Adds Windows and SharpWin support (PR #119)

  • From: "T.V Raman" <raman AT google.com>
  • To: "Robert Melton" (via emacspeak Mailing List) <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
  • Subject: Re: [Emacspeak] [tvraman/emacspeak] Adds Windows and SharpWin support (PR #119)
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:45:58 -0700

"Robert Melton" (via emacspeak Mailing List) <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
writes:

Either option on the Makefile works, but what I dont want to merge is a
cL that touches so many files.

Here is a suggestion:

1. Keep a separate branch that touches a minimal number of files, --
hopefully at most 1.
2. Let that develop and refactor / simplify progressively
3. Should be easy to keep that branch up-to-date with Master -- if not
then the "doesn't affect the rest of the codebase would be false"
4. I dont care too much re why you rejected cygwin, wsl etc, but I'm not
willing to pollute the codebase with non-unix assumptions re tools
and utils.
5. I think the interesting work here is creating a TTS server for
Emacspeak, not in the sort of busy work the current PR indicates.
6. If the Windows TTS server works well is a roaring success, that
would at least create some justification for some of the busy work.