emacspeak - [Emacspeak] Matching parems in newer versions of Emacspeak

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

[Emacspeak] Matching parems in newer versions of Emacspeak

  • From: Alan Ghelardi <alan.ghelardi AT gmail.com>
  • To: Emacspeaks <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
  • Subject: [Emacspeak] Matching parems in newer versions of Emacspeak
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 14:59:51 -0300

Hello there.

After upgrading recently to the latest version of Emacspeak I noticed a change in the way how Emacspeak speaks matching parems in other than Lisp-like languages. For example in Golang when I move the point near to the end curly bracket of an if block, Emacspeak reads the opening curly bracket, but not the preceding clauses what waste the understanding of nested blocks.

I took a long time to upgrade Emacspeak, so I am not sure when this behavior was introduced. Is there any configuration to tweak this behavior for specific modes? I was examining the function emacspeak-speak-matching-paren and thought of possible patches: maybe changing    the function to speak from the beginning of the line when the character isn't a parentheses and the mode is neither lisp nor clojure (sounds error-prone) or introducing a specific config that could be adjusted per mode (I can open a pr if needed). But I'd like to hear your experience/opinions   on that.