emacspeak - Re: [Emacspeak] Problem when editing a document with emacspeak

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

Re: [Emacspeak] Problem when editing a document with emacspeak

  • From: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19 AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Greg Wocher" (via emacspeak Mailing List) <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
  • Subject: Re: [Emacspeak] Problem when editing a document with emacspeak
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:11:39 -0600

"Greg Wocher" (via emacspeak Mailing List) <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
writes:

> Hello all,
> When I am editing a document I created on my Mac, I keep getting a
> message saying something about this line has X number of characters do
> you want emacspeak to read the line. This is happening on just about
> every line of the document. How can I get it to stop or can I even get
> it to stop? I am using emacs with emacspeak on a M1 14 inch macbook
> pro.

Disclaimer: my emacspeak version isn't uup to date... but works
perfectly.

Have a look at this customizable setting that you can adjust to your
taste.

ems--speak-max-line is a variable defined in ‘emacspeak-speak.el’.

Its value is 2000
Original value was 512

Threshold for determining ‘long’ lines.
Emacspeak will ask for confirmation before speaking lines
that are longer than this length. This is to avoid accidentally
opening a binary file and torturing the speech synthesizer
with a long string of gibberish.

Automatically becomes buffer-local when set.
You can customize this variable.

Enjoy!