emacspeak - Re: [Emacspeak] Problem when editing a document with emacspeak

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

Re: [Emacspeak] Problem when editing a document with emacspeak

  • From: "T.V Raman" <raman AT google.com>
  • To: "Robert Melton" (via emacspeak Mailing List) <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
  • Cc: Robert Melton <lists AT robertmelton.com>, Tim Cross <theophilusx AT gmail.com>, Parham Doustdar <parham90 AT gmail.com>, Greg Wocher <gtwocher AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Emacspeak] Problem when editing a document with emacspeak
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 19:16:11 -0800

"Robert Melton" (via emacspeak Mailing List) <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
writes:

1. The original reporter found a defcustom, likely because his
emacspeak is out-dated; there used to be a defcuston -- so see my
first tip re always first checking version.
2. Your steps were technically correct otherwise but you started being misled.
3. If you hadn't been misled, you'd likely have read the code in
emacspeak-speak-line a bit more, rather than jumping to the
cross-ref; so tip: if jumping doesn't yield an answer, read the code
a bit more.
4. I'll cite the code block to read below -- see if you spot the
intended solution that is already built-in.

So read the complete cond form below -- not just one of its arms.

(cond
((or ;speakable
selective-display
(< l ems--speak-max-line)
(get-text-property start 'speak-line))
t)
(t
(when (y-or-n-p "use Visual Lines")
(call-interactively #'visual-line-mode))
(unless visual-line-mode
(put-text-property start end 'start-line t)
(setq ems--speak-max-line (* 2 l)))
t))