emacspeak - Re: [Emacspeak] Upgrading to Mac Sonoma?

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

Re: [Emacspeak] Upgrading to Mac Sonoma?

  • From: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19 AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Jeff Dittel" (via emacspeak Mailing List) <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
  • Cc: Jeff Dittel <jeff AT britlan.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Emacspeak] Upgrading to Mac Sonoma?
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 14:04:56 -0600

Jeff, remarks below inline...

"Jeff Dittel" (via emacspeak Mailing List) <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
writes:

> Hey everybody,
>
> Has anyone run into problems with emacspeak after upgrading their Mac
> laptop to Sonoma? I need to upgrade my Mac from Monterey to Sonoma and a
> little scared. Should I be?

Probably not but of course YMMV.

I recently went from Ventura to Sonoma without issues.

In fact, the upgrade seemed to resolve some long-standing issues with
the Python speech server that would result in it gradually becoming
less responsive on things like typing feedback latency (memory leaks?)

I tolerated it by simply restarting the speech server, sometimes several
times per day, whenever it became noticeably sluggish.

I do not recall having to update any brew packages as a result and I
believe the Mac developer CLI tools that I do use required one click
to update or reinstall.

Disclaimer: my emacspeak version is *not* up to date as of a couple
years ago probably.

Good luck!