emacspeak - [Emacspeak] Confused by the speech output I get from Emacs / Emacspeak when using shell

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

[Emacspeak] Confused by the speech output I get from Emacs / Emacspeak when using shell

  • From: "T.V Raman" <raman AT google.com>
  • To: vtsaran AT gmail.com
  • Cc: emacspeak AT emacspeak.net
  • Subject: [Emacspeak] Confused by the speech output I get from Emacs / Emacspeak when using shell
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 10:53:40 -0800

1. Rob is likely right re special chars in your prompt.

2. Emacs shell mode has *never* worked with "terminal apps" AKA
full-screen console apps -- Victor, if I didn't know that you
were an not an LLM, I'd say you were "hallucinating":-) However
since I know that you are not (at least not yet an LLM), here is
a bit more terminology:

A. full-screen apps, ie those that use terminal addressing,
include vi, emacs lynx etc; none of which will work in shell
mode.

B. Most shell-level command-line utils dont need
cursor-addressing and *will* work in shell mode.

C. To handle special chars such as highlighting, you need
ansi-color-mode in shell buffers, emacspeak does this
in emacspeak-comint.el

to enable