emacspeak - [Emacspeak] Question: what voice do you use on MacOS to be able to tell differences in pitch?

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

[Emacspeak] Question: what voice do you use on MacOS to be able to tell differences in pitch?

  • From: Parham Doustdar <parham90 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Emacspeaks <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
  • Subject: [Emacspeak] Question: what voice do you use on MacOS to be able to tell differences in pitch?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:59:53 +0100

Hi all,
I’m using the Alex voice with Emacspeak. However, I notice that I can’t tell
differences in pitch since using Swiftmac because there is no pause in
between chunks with different pitches.
As an example, try this text in an org-mode buffer with the rate set to 250:
*** TODO Book a time on their
[[https://www.dinerspel.nl/beschikbaarheid_in_stappen][calendar]] :week:
You’ll probably not hear much of a difference in pitch. In fact, the only
reason I figured this out was looking at the swiftmac log. Now, if you slow
the speech server down a lot, for example to 180 or even 150, you will hear a
barely perceptible pitch change, but not large enough to be noticeable.
I’ve noticed that if the text is multiple words, it’s easier for me to notice
the change in pitch, but if it’s just one word like “TODO” or “calendar”
above, I easily miss it.
Do others have this issue as well, or am I losing my hearing? 😭
Thanks!