emacspeak - Re: [Emacspeak] TTS Server Implementation Questions

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

Re: [Emacspeak] TTS Server Implementation Questions

  • From: Robert Melton <lists AT robertmelton.com>
  • To: John Covici <covici AT ccs.covici.com>
  • Cc: Emacspeaks <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>
  • Subject: Re: [Emacspeak] TTS Server Implementation Questions
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:02:19 -0400

So, this can legitimately be a little confusing, I remember being very
confused when I first got started with emacspeak.

Emacspeak can be thought of as a set of three major components.

1. The emacspeak elisp code, the core.
2. The emacspeak servers, written in a bunch of languages and toolkits, they
act as bridges to the TTS engines. They communicate using the emacspeak
server protocol, which is what we have been discussing here.
3. The emacspeak build system, this does things like build loaddefs, builds
the .el files into .elc files and has assorted scripts for maintaining
the docs, the info, generating pdfs, tons of great stuff.

So, what I have done with SharpWin and swiftmac is added new options to
part 2 above, I added new native servers to the list of possible servers.
between emacspeak and the native mac and windows tts systems. On Windows
the debate is ongoing on the best way to do the build.

--
Robert "robertmeta" Melton
lists AT robertmelton.com