emacspeak - Re: [Emacspeak] TTS Server Implementation Questions

Subject: Emacspeak discussion list

Re: [Emacspeak] TTS Server Implementation Questions

  • From: Robert Melton <lists AT robertmelton.com>
  • To: "T.V Raman" <raman AT google.com>
  • Cc: Emacspeaks <emacspeak AT emacspeak.net>, Tim Cross <theophilusx AT gmail.com>, Victor Tsaran <vtsaran AT gmail.com>, Parham Doustdar <parham90 AT gmail.com>, John Covici <covici AT ccs.covici.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Emacspeak] TTS Server Implementation Questions
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:27:31 -0400

Comment inline below.

> On Apr 9, 2024, at 21:53, T.V Raman <raman AT google.com> wrote:
>
> 1. Stack rank things by priority.

Yep. Annoyingly the most important next thing is not a fun one,
pitch manipulation in pure wave form, yey!

> 2. Log servers and tee; now you know why the Emacspeak manual starts
> with the quote "Being dos-impaired is worse than being visually impaired".

I laughed out loud the first time I read that, and this time I groaned.

> 3. Rather than mimicking the log server from UNIX where it's a
> one-liner, one way to do a log server for the Windows world might be
> to write to a socket from the main server or something similar ie do
> the debug switch in the server itself.

This is already implemented, but it is an obnoxious amount of logging,
and I have it tagged with pid so you get one for notifications and one
for main server. I need to make a version that is an exact copy of what
the current log-server variants do, super handy. Honestly, just have to
check executable name and then add a bit of code.

> 4. Also, if you write a really solid server, then no one might need your
> log server, so focus on the server first.

True enough. Solid servers using well supported mainline tech so we don't
have
to do this work again for a bit. Just want to solidify and contribute and
then mostly just be a regular user of them until something breaks! I got
evil-mode
improvements I want to make!

--
Robert "robertmeta" Melton